Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cultivating an Attitude of Gratitude




One of the things that I struggle with the most is a tendency to focus on the negative things in my life…no job, selling everything, not able to pay the bills, etc., but one of the things that the Lord is working on in me is having an attitude of gratitude in the hard times as well as the easy times. He is teaching me to not only be grateful for the good things but that there are things to be grateful for in the not so good things.

When I am worrying and fretting about things like finding a job, moving in to take care of my grandmother, and all those other things, I am telling the Lord that I don’t trust Him.

 I am saying to Him, “Lord, I can do better than You can do for me."

On the other hand…when I am grateful, I am telling the Lord that I do trust Him, that I am focused on Him and all the good things that He has brought into my life.

I am saying to Him, “Lord, You can do better for me than I can do for myself and that I know that You love me.”

One of the ways that I am working on cultivating an attitude of gratitude is by using Ann Voskamp’s 1000 Gifts app on my iPhone. I like it because I am a very visual person and I can add photos of what I am grateful for.

 I have seen other people who keep gratitude journals and write down something that they are grateful for everyday.

What are some of the ways that you cultivate an attitude of gratitude?

No comments:

Post a Comment