A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Proverbs 31:10 (NIV)
In the last blog we discussed the key to becoming a woman of noble character. Today I want to take a look at who the woman of noble character is.
Let us focus on the phrase “noble character” for a while. What exactly does it mean to have a noble character? How would you define a noble character? Visualize a person that you see as having a noble character. What traits do you see in them? Why would you say that he or she is a noble person?
The Hebrew word used to describe this woman is chayil (pronounce khahˊ-yil). This word means a force, valor, strength, substance, might, power, or valiant. A woman of noble character is in essence a force to be reckoned with. She is strong and confident. She is a woman who knows what she wants and goes after it, but she does so with grace and dignity. She is woman who embodies the fruit of the Spirit.
When I read through the verses describing a wife of noble character, I see 12 different traits that make her noble.
1) She is a woman of faith. She trusts God. (Proverbs 31:21, 25, 30)
2) She is a woman of love. (Proverbs 31:10-31)
3) She is a woman of worth. (Proverbs 31:10)
4) She is a woman of integrity. (Proverbs 31:11)
5) She is a woman of compassion. (Proverbs 31:15, 20)
6) She is a woman of purpose and industry. (Proverbs 31: 13-19, 22, 24, 27)
7) She is a woman of wisdom. (Proverbs 31:26)
8) She is a woman of wellness. (Proverbs 31:17 & 25)
9) She is a woman of resilience. (Proverbs 31:21, 25)
10) She is a woman of knowledge. (Proverbs 31:26)
11) She is a woman of self-control and discipline. (Proverbs 31:15-16, 21)
12) She is a woman of dignity. (Proverbs 31:25)
13) She is a woman of humility. (Proverbs 31:10-31)
Aren’t all of these traits that we should all be striving to have? Whether we are married or single, being a woman of noble character isn’t as much about what we do as it is about who we are or whose we are. I don’t know about you, but I know that I can’t be all these things on my own. I know who can create these traits in me though and He wants to create them in you also.
As we are developing these traits in ourselves, we need to be acting them out. If you don’t see a trait in yourself that you want to develop, then act as if you are already have that trait. If you want to be a more compassionate person, then act like a compassionate person, i.e. doing random acts of kindness in the community, helping someone who needs help.
We are going to explore these traits in depth in the weeks to come. I am looking forward to it and I hope that you are too.
God bless and I’m praying for you!