Thursday, March 28, 2013

Book of the Week: Starting Now by Debbie Macomber


Book of the Week: Starting Now by Debbie Macomber



Next week Debbie Macomber’s latest book in the Blossom Street Series is going to be released and I got the privilege of reading it before it ever came out.

In Starting Now, Libby Morgan believes that she is headed for a partnership in the law firm where she works, but instead receives the news that she is being laid off due to the downturn of the economy. Her life has been dedicated solely to the goal of making partner with the idea that she would be able to relax and build a life outside of work when she reached that goal. Her boss and mentor tells her that she needs to work on finding balance in her life while she is young and that her time of unemployment is the perfect opportunity to do that.

Libby surprises herself by doing that very thing. She begins by asking a college friend out to lunch and ends up by knitting preemie caps for one of the local hospitals where she meets and falls in love with Dr. Phillip Stone. Dr. Stone has been working on finding balance in his own life, but he has given up on the idea of love. Can the two of them overcome their workaholic tendencies to make a life together? Can Libby maintain the balance she has found when she returns to work? Will she be able to keep up the friendships that she has made when she is faced with another loss or will she realize what is important before she loses everything again?

After a slow start to the book, I fell in love with the characters and their search for balance in their life. I could totally relate because for 19 years my life was wrapped up in my career and being introverted like the main character I have a hard opening myself up and making friends. I found myself laughing and crying as I read this book. It touched my emotions and drew me into their world. I felt like I had made new friends by the end of the book.

If you are looking for a good book on a rainy (or snowy) day, I recommend curling up with this book.

Thank you, Debbie, for another wonderful trip to Blossom Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment