Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Heart of Hospitality





Hospitality is a topic that it is hard for me to write about. I am an introvert, and because of it I would rather spend much of my time by myself. But after this past week and reading Willing to Walk on Water by Caroline Barnett, I am beginning to realize that I need to look for more ways to serve others.

Of course, at the same time, I am struggling with the fact that I already feel like my life revolves around serving others. In other words, my heart is not where it needs to be when it comes to hospitality.

I am learning that hospitality isn’t just about entertaining others with dinner parties and barbecues. The Lord is working on my heart to show me that true hospitality is about opening my heart and my life as well as my home to other people and finding ways to serve others.

As I am learning more and more about modeling my life after Christ’s life, then I also have to look to Him in the area of hospitality and Christ was the ultimate host. Time after time in the Gospels we see Christ opening His heart and His life to other people. Even though He didn’t have a home of His own, we see Him inviting people to visit Him where He was staying. He fed thousands of people multiple times.  He offered healing where needed and took time to talk with people. He met the needs of the people.

As Christians we are called to receive others as we are received by Christ.

We are called to have a heart of hospitality.

Some Scriptures on hospitality:

“Even as the Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister to, and to give his life for many.”--Matthew 20:28

“We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not please ourselves. Let everyone of us please his neighbor for his good to edification.”--Romans 15:1-3

 “For the Son of Man is come to seek and to save.”--Luke 19:10

“The liberal soul shall be made fat; and he that watereth shall also be watered.”--Proverbs 11:25

“A new commandment that I give you:  that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men shall know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another.”--John 13:34 & 35

“Use hospitality one to another without grudging.” --1 Peter 4:9 (This is the verse that really convicts me because many times I serve others, but I do it with the wrong attitude and so I 
do it grudgingly.)

Dear Abba,

I have failed you in the area of hospitality in my life. I struggle with opening my heart and my life to others. I fear being rejected and have many other fears in this area, but I know that You have called me to have a heart of hospitality. I ask that You show me how I serve others and how to open my heart and my life to them.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment