Friday, April 19, 2013

Book of the Week: More or Less by Jeff Shinabarger


Book of the Week: More or Less by Jeff Shinabarger
 image description


In the book More or Less, Jeff Shinabarger asks the question, “What is enough?” We as Americans live in a culture of luxury and excess, and Jeff challenges us to look honestly at what we have and who we are and ask ourselves, “What is enough?” Then after we have asked ourselves, “What is enough?” We are challenged to ask ourselves, “What can we do to help others with the excess that we have?” Then we need to go out and use that excess to help others. Jeff Shinabarger takes us through our houses and our lives a chapter at a time. At the end of each chapter, he has a section called “Enough Talk” in which he gives action steps that we take to apply the concepts he is teaching to our lives. He also has sections throughout the book called “Visual Moments” which gives a website address for a video where you can see these principles put into action.

I have found that this book has been really challenging for me to read. It is challenging because I have found myself questioning what is excess in my life and what I can do with what I have to help others, and I haven’t come up with any answers yet. Let’s just say that I’m still working on it. There is a strong part of me that wants to let go of everything, and there is strong part of me that is holding on to what I have out of fear. I have never really thought of myself as materialistic but this book along with some other events in my life has shown me that I can place too much importance on things and not enough on relationships. The one drawback that I have found to the book is that Jeff Shinabarger does not speak about his faith in Christ, but through reading his stories, you can see his faith lived out in action.

For more information on Jeff Shinabarger, his book and his ministries, check out his websites


To purchase the book, click on the link for my Amazon store below.

Thank you to David C. Cook Publishing for allowing me to read and review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment