Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Procrastination: The Thief of Time


Well, I did it again. I had three months to finish the class.  I started well and intended to have it done within the first month, but it is the week before I have to have it finished and I am barely half way through the class. The ladies’ retreat at church is this weekend, and I’m rushing to get the class finished so that I can enjoy the retreat.

I kept putting it off. Someone would ask me to do something and instead of saying “no” like I knew I should I would say “yes” thinking that I had plenty of time to get the class over with. Or I would be sick and looking at the computer screen for a long period of time gives me headaches. Or… Or… Or…

There was always some excuse that I used to procrastinate. I was simply putting off what I knew I had to do and it was stealing time from me…

Time that I could have used to get done what I needed to do…

 Time that I could have used to do something for the Lord…

Time that I could have used to live my life…

One of my biggest downfalls lately is time management…I am constantly putting off until tomorrow what I should be doing today. Then I spend precious time anxious and cranky as I rush to catch up.

But…we are not promised tomorrow… and what I do today is important. It is my life, and I need to live it. I can’t keep putting it off until tomorrow because as we have been shown a lot lately there might not be a tomorrow.

So what can I do? How can I change? How do I take control of my life and manage my time so that I don’t waste another minute?

Here is my plan for overcoming the procrastination disorder that fills my life:

1)     Focus on my relationship with Christ

Focusing on my relationship with Christ is important to my time management skills because I have found that when I am focused on Him then everything else seems to just fall into place. I know that it sounds simplistic, but it is true. When I make Him my priority, I find that I am more peaceful and that I handle things better. I know what He is bringing into my life and what I need to say “no” to. 

2)    The Pomodoro Technique for Productivity (http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/)

Ann Voskamp (http://www.aholyexperience.com) has blogged about the Pomodoro Technique, and it seems so simple to use. You divide your day into 25 minute segments with a 5 minute break between each segment and a 15 to 30 minute break every 4 segments.  You create a list at the beginning of the day of things you want to accomplish that day. Start with the activities that have highest priority and work your way down the list. Anyway visit their website for more details. 

3)    Use Evernote

Okay. In order to keep track of my activities for the Pomodoro Technique, I have started using Evernote. What I love about Evernote is that I have the program on my computer and an app for my phone. I can sync them so whatever I type up on my computer will end up on my phone and whatever I type on my phone will end up on my computer.  I did find one drawback. If I do a complete overhaul of my notes on either it shows up on the other as a conflict instead an edit.


Do you all struggle with managing your time and procrastinating? If not, what is your favorite tip for managing your time?

God Bless You,

Misty



No comments:

Post a Comment