Photo courtesy of HeartLight
Have you ever had one of those “God moments” where you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are called by the Lord to do something? Did you obey that calling or did you fight with the Lord?
I realized recently that for the past 1 ½ years I have been fighting with the Lord about my calling in life. I had one of those “God moments” and knew what I should do, but as time went by I started letting doubt and fear creep in and I started fighting what I was called to do.
Every time I heard God’s voice in this matter, I would say, “But…
· I’m not qualified.
· I don’t want to go back to school.
· I’m tired of this.
· How can I help others when I can’t even help myself?
· The list of excuses could go on and on.
Or I would say…
· Lord, I would much rather do _____.
· Hey, Lord, wouldn’t this be a much better option for me?
· Oh! I think it would so much more exciting to _______.
And the truth of the matter is
1. I am not qualified, but He is.
· “Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.” –John 15:4-5
· “For with God nothing will be impossible.” –Luke 1:37
· “I can of myself do nothing,”—John 5:30a
2. If I love Him, I have to be obedient to the calling that He has placed on my life.
· “If you love Me, keep my commandmants.” –John 14:15
· “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.”—John 15:10
3. Even when I am tired, weak and worn, He will give me the strength to keep on moving forward.
· “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.”—Philippians 4:13
· “Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall, But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles; They shall run and not be weary; They shall walk and not faint.”—Isaiah 40:28-31
4. I’m not supposed to help myself…My healing comes from Him. There is nothing I can do to make it better.
· “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because the Lord has anointed Me to preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted…”—Isaiah 61:1a
5. Yes, there might be things that look better on paper…but NOTHING is better for my life than the plans that He has for me.
· “You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in my name He may give you.”—John 15:16
· “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”—Jeremiah 29:11
· “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.”—Ephesians 2:10
So do I keep fighting or do I surrender to the call that He has placed on my life?