Thursday, September 27, 2012

Ozark Pudding





As I was reading through recipes, I found a recipe for Ozark Pudding. When I told my parents that I had found it, my mom told me that it was one of my dad’s favorite desserts so I made it for the family the other night. When it bakes it forms a crust, and my niece Addie liked the crust so much that she picked at it all evening long. J I had heard of Ozark Pudding, but never tried it. I ended up really enjoying it although I will admit to the fact that I probably would have enjoyed it better without the nuts. Dessert was a big hit that night. Next time I think I will double the recipe.


Mrs. Harry S. Truman’s Ozark Pudding

1 egg
1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts.)
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup raw chopped apples

Beat the egg and sugar for a considerable time, until it is very smooth. Mix flour, baking powder and salt and then stir into sugar-egg mixture. Add apples, nuts, and vanilla. Bake in a buttered pie pan in 350-degree oven for 35 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream. A little rum flavoring may be added, if desired.

Kansas City Star Magazine cookbook, October 24, 1971

Variations I thought of:
  • Make individual puddings in ramekins.
  • Use pecans instead of walnuts.
  • For those who don’t like nuts, leave them out and double the apples.
  • Add cinnamon, nutmeg, or apple pie seasoning.



No comments:

Post a Comment