Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Happy October!


I love autumn! I love the changing colors of the trees, the cooler temperatures, the campfires or fire pits, the apples, the pumpkins, and the food! Hot chocolate, doughnuts, apple fritters, apple cake, apple butter, applesauce…did I mention apples?
Today’s recipe is fresh apple cake. I found this recipe in the Kansas City Star Magazine, October 24, 1971. It was submitted by a Mrs. Frank C. Farrell of Kansas City. I followed her recipe very closely because this is the first time that I have ever made a cake from scratch. I will admit that since I am not a fan of pecans that my finished cake will not have the pecan frosting.



FRESH APPLE CAKE

1 ½ cups flour, sifted
2 teaspoons soda
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup butter or margarine
1 ½ cups sugar
4 cups apples, pared and cut to pea size
1 cup dry oatmeal or bread crumbs

Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Into mixture blend butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs. Stir in apple and oatmeal. Bake in a well-greased, 13 x 9 inch pan at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.

PECAN FROSTING

2 ½ tablespoons flour
½ cup milk
½ cup butter or margarine
½ cup sugar
½ cup pecans

Measure flour into sauce pan. Add milk slowly stirring until smooth. Cook over low heat stirring constantly until thick. Set aside to cool. Blend butter and sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add flour mixture and beat until light and of spreading consistency. Spread on cake. Sprinkle with pecans.


I used caramel sauce to top the cake instead of the pecan frosting. It was a hit with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment