Friday, October 5, 2012

Grandma Mills' Oatmeal Cookies


I love cookies, all types of cookies, but I have never really cared for oatmeal cookies. There is only one recipe for oatmeal cookies that I will use and that I will eat. It is the favorite recipe of all my aunts, uncles, and cousins on my mom’s side of the family. And according to my family, nobody but my sister and I can make them the way that Grandma did. So today I’m going to share with you, my great-grandmother’s recipe for oatmeal cookies and I hope that you will love them as much as my family does.

OATMEAL COOKIES

½ cup shortening or butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 beaten egg
1 tablespoon water
½ teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup sifted flour
½ teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups oats, uncooked
1 ¼ cup chocolate chips  or 1 cup Spanish peanuts (optional)

Cream shortening and sugar. Stir in beaten egg, water & vanilla. Add sifted dry ingredients, oats, & chocolate chips (if desired). Bake in a moderate oven (375 degrees) for 8 to 10 minutes.

Because one of the things that I love to do is play around with recipes, I made the original recipe of Oatmeal Cookies for my family. Then I played around with the recipe and made Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies.

APPLE CINNAMON OATMEAL COOKIES

½ cup shortening or butter
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 beaten egg
1 tablespoon water
½ teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup sifted flour
½ teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups oats, uncooked
1 cup apples, chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Cream shortening and sugar. Stir in beaten egg, water & vanilla. Add sifted dry ingredients, oats, apples & cinnamon. Place by teaspoonful onto cookie sheet. Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) for 8 to 10 minutes.la. Add sifted dry ingredients, oats, & chocolate chips (if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment