Thursday, October 4, 2012

Roast Beef Teriyaki

I love the taste of teriyaki and I love roast beef so when I found this recipe and thought that it sounded so good I decided I would try it, but I’m going to admit that I changed most of the steps for making the roast. I simply seared the roasts and then placed them in a slow cooker and then added the marinade on top. It changed a 10+ hour process into 15 minutes of prep and then into the slow cooker to cook the rest of the day.


6-pound rolled rib roast of beef
2 cups beef broth
2/3 cup soy sauce
½ cup red wine
¼ cup green onions, chopped fine
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons powdered ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed

Place meat in a deep bowl. Mix together broth, soy sauce, wine, green onions, brown sugar, lemon juice, ginger and garlic. Stir marinade until sugar dissolves. Pour it over the meat and cover with foil. Place in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 10 hours. Turn meat occasionally. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Remove meat from marinade and place on a rack set in bottom of a foil-lined roasting pan. The foil is important, as the marinade tends to burn on the bottom of the pan. Pour marinade into a saucepan and set aside. A meat thermometer should be used. Allow approximately 32 minutes a pound for rare, 38 minutes a pound for medium. While cooking, brush the meat three or four times with the marinade. Allow meat to set 20 minutes after removing from oven. Before serving, heat remaining sauce and pour into bowl to serve with meat. Serves 8.

The way I made the roast:
I seared the roast on all sides for color. Then I placed the roast in the slow cooker. I mixed the beef broth, soy sauce, red wine, green onions, brown sugar, lemon juice, ginger and garlic. Then I poured the mixture over the roasts. I turned the slow cooker on low and cooked the roast for about 8 hours. Take it out and let it rest about 20 minutes before slicing. 

I saved the marinade that the roast cooked in and used it to make a gravy. I also added potatoes to the roast after it had been cooking for a couple of hours. My family really enjoyed it and the next day I used the left overs to make a vegetable beef stew which was also a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment