Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Woman of Faith





Behold, as for the proud one, his soul is not right within him;
But the righteous will live by faith.
Habakkuk 2:4


The woman in Proverbs 31 has many virtues as we saw in my last post on her, and I plan to visit all of those virtues or characteristics in the coming weeks. Today I want to focus on the faith of the woman in Proverbs 31. To many people who read these verses it probably seems like very little is said about her faith, but as I have been reading these verses, I see that these verses are about her living her faith.

The woman is Proverbs 31 lives her life by faith…but how do we know this? What do we see in her life that points to her being a woman of faith?

Everything she does is an action of faith…In the book of James, James says that faith without deeds is dead (Jas. 2:14-26). She shows her faith by her deeds. It is her faith though that produces her deeds. In his book Unstoppable: the Incredible Power of Faith in Action, Nick Vujicic describes it this way:

“I’ve heard it said that our actions are to our faith and beliefs as our bodies are to our spirits. Your body is the housing of your spirit, the evidence of its existence. In the same way, your actions are the evidence of your faith and beliefs.”(p. 10)

Do you see it now? Everything that the Proverbs 31 woman does comes from her faith. It is how she shares her faith with the world.

So I have to ask…what do your actions say about you? Are they pointing to you as a woman of faith or do you they show that you still have a way to go? It is alright if you do. I know that I have a long way to go, but I also know that when I come to the end of my life I want people to say that I was a woman who lived my faith. I want my faith to be a living, breathing feature in my life so that when all look to me they see less of me and see more of Christ.

Would you join me? For the next whoever knows how long, I am going to focus on faith, what it is, why it is important, where does it come from, how much faith do we need, and how we can increase our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment