Friday, November 23, 2012

Feather Rolls


While I loved the Parker House Rolls, they turned out to be a little crusty and dense for some of my family members.  My mom asked me to make rolls that were lighter and softer so I went looking for a recipe that was and I found the PERFECT SOFT ROLL RECIPE!!!!     It is a no knead recipe and I found it in the 1959 revised edition of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. These rolls turned out so light and airy and delicious that Cowboy Carter (my nephew) ate about 3 full-size rolls and 3 baby rolls. These rolls were a big hit in my family, and they are so quick and easy to make! I will definitely be making them for the Boone Family dinner on Sunday.

 I will just say that I doubled the recipe and forgot to make sure that I had enough muffin tins for the rolls so some of the rolls where made by just dropping the batter on a cookie sheet which made them look more like biscuits than rolls and some of them were made in a mini muffin pan (the baby rolls). What can I say? I am a big picture person, not always a details person. J

Feather Rolls


1 cup warm milk (not hot)
1 package yeast
4 tablespoons soft butter or oil
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour


Put milk and yeast in mixing bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes. Stir well. 


Add butter, sugar, salt and egg. Mix until thoroughly blended. Stir in the flour. Dough will be sticky and gooey. 


Cover the dough and set aside in a warm place. Let rise until double, about 45 minutes.

Prepare muffin tins with butter. Stir down dough. Fill muffin tins half full. Set aside and let rise until muffin tins are full. 




Bake in 350º oven until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.

                

1 comment:

  1. My family has always loved these rolls too and favored them over Parker House rolls.
    I'll be making 2 batches for Thanksgiving, assuming I remember to buy another packet of yeast.

    ReplyDelete