Thursday, June 6, 2013

Fear: The Thief of Faith



I wanted to do it. I wanted to go out on the dance floor and dance with my friends. I was asked by several men to dance, but something was holding me back. I just stood back in the corner and was dancing by myself while my friend and her date were out on the dance floor. I just couldn’t do it. Every time I was asked to dance I froze. I got so scared and all the “what ifs” flooded my mind…You know…

“What if he is a serial killer?”

“What if he is a rapist?”

Or heaven forbid…”What if he asks for my phone number?” ;-)

Now I know that this seems ridiculous. I wasn’t by myself. I had a friend with me, and I knew that the likelihood of those first two “what ifs” was slim.  But I just couldn’t relax enough to go join my friends.

I let fear steal my faith…the faith that God would take care of me and protect me.

Fear does that…fear steals your faith.

Oh, it can be a small thing such as dancing with a stranger, or it can be a big thing like taking that leap and starting your own business.

It doesn’t matter the size of the fear. It takes away your faith.

I recently told someone that I think my besetting sin is fear…and he looked at me funny. I don’t know if he was shocked that I admitted it or shocked that I called fear a sin. But it is.

God tells us 365 times in the Bible to not be afraid.  That is one reminder for every day of the year.

If it is something that He has asked you do then He is going to provide a way for it to happen and He is going to protect you too.

We are blessed though. We have a God who loves us and provides for us. He forgives us. All we have to do is ask. 


Don’t live your life in fear. Have faith. Trust God and live boldly for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment