Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Fishing with Dad



When I was little, my dad would take me fishing. We had this big pond in our backyard, and he placed some big flat rocks (sandstone, I believe) along one edge of the pond. We would go down to the pond and fish, and we almost always fished with worms.

We would go out to the garden and dig up a can of worms and throw some dirt on top of them. Then we would head down to the pond. At the pond, Dad would set down his fishing gear, next to the stool he had made and kept down at the pond. Then he would walk with me over to one of the big rocks, far enough away that our lines wouldn’t tangle but close enough that he could get there quickly if something happened. Then he would help me put the bobber on my line and a worm on my hook before he would go back to his stool.

As the years passed, he taught me to place the worm on my hook, and how to get a fish off of the hook on my own.

He was patient and I know that for a few years he probably spent more time helping  me untangle lines, and put worms on hooks, and getting fish off of the hooks than he did actually fishing himself.

I also know that there were times when I was done fishing that he would send me back up to the house and continue fishing in peace.

Fishing with my dad is one of my most treasured memories. My dad used fishing to teach me patience and a can-do attitude. (Sometimes I don’t think either one of those lessons have stuck well, but he did try. J) think either one of those lessons have stuck well, but he did try. :-)shing to teach me patience and a can-do attitude. (Somet

Fishing with my dad taught me to appreciate the beauty that God has blessed us with. Even the parts we don’t like (such as snakes) have a reason and a purpose.

I thank God for being able to fish with my dad. Many children don’t have fathers who can take them fishing. Many children don’t have fathers who spend any time with them.

Fathers are an important part of children’s lives.


Fathers, make the time to spend with your children. Make memories with your children. You are not promised tomorrow so take the time today.

No comments:

Post a Comment